Hungry. Self-starter. Eager. Innovative. Ambitious. Strategic thinker. Open to new experiences.
Do these words describe you? If so, continue reading:
The Alliance for Natural Health USA (ANH-USA) is seeking a chief development officer to lead direct fundraising efforts.
The Chief Development Officer is a new position being created to expand the organization’s major donor program. The primary function of the CDO will be to build and maintain personal relationships with a roster of major donors to secure large gifts ($5,000+).
The CDO will have considerable input into how our fledgling major donor program will be expanded, making the position ideal for an ambitious fundraiser who wants to grow professionally as our major donor program grows. Our program is relatively new and malleable, and our organizational culture is one that encourages experimentation and innovation. Our ideal applicant will both bring ideas to table and know how to effectively translate those ideas into concrete action plans with measurable goals.
This position reports to the Executive and Legal Director.
This is a full-time, salaried, and exempt position that will require travel and occasional evening or weekend work. The anticipated frequency of travel is an average of one 3-5 day trip per month, with less travel during summer and winter holidays and more travel during the busy fall and spring conference seasons (20-25% travel).
The chief development officer’s job duties may include:
- Expand prospect pipeline and funding base by accessing new networks and leveraging existing networks
- Identify, cultivate, and secure five- and six-figure gifts from individual, corporate, and foundation donors
- Develop weekly reports and prepare monthly briefings to the executive director and board of directors on status of contacts, solicitations, and proposals
- Effectively communicate organizational mission, vision, and strategy to ensure donors are aligned, inspired, and engaged
- Accurately and positively represent the organization publicly
- Attend trade shows, conferences, and other events to network with influential persons, potential donors, and existing donors
- Coordinate fundraising efforts with Membership Director
- Act as liaison between major donors and organizational staff to ensure staff are aware of donor concerns and donors are kept satisfied
A successful applicant should have:
- 5-10 years’ experience raising money for politically active non-profits from multiple sources including individual donors, foundations, and corporations
- Recent experience personally soliciting five- or six-figure gifts
- Proven success building a portfolio of donors from scratch
- Excellent communication skills with an emphasis on brevity and persuasiveness
- Passionate, energetic, and able to command the respect of strong-minded donors
- Personal interest in natural health is essential
- Ability to travel by airplane for 3-5 days per month on average
Preference will be given to candidates who have these desirable, but not required, assets:
- Pre-existing connections to influential persons and/or potential donors in the natural health and integrative medicine community
- Proven success in increasing the visibility of a small organization
- Experience personally closing five- or six-figure gifts
- Experience with Convio CMS
- Experience with a small organization undergoing rapid growth
To apply, please submit a brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Be sure to include “Chief Development Officer” in your subject line. In your cover letter, please include your salary requirements. Please do not call the office.