Customized natural medicines…homeopathy…health coaches and nutritionists. These are some of the mainstays of natural medicine, yet they are threatened from many sides.
Compounded, customized medicines are facing extinction because of FDA regulations. Bioidentical hormones (like estriol and progesterone) and thyroid medications made for vulnerable populations with special needs (such as breast cancer patients and people with autism) are on the chopping block. So are intravenous nutrients made for patients who often have an adverse reaction to mass-manufactured drugs, and need a more tailored treatment to boost their immune system and digestive function.
These customized medicines cut into the profits of pharmaceutical companies, who don’t want the competition.
There are other problems. Our healthcare choices are being limited in other ways, too. Trade groups are attempting to carve out state-level monopolies, restricting who can offer nutrition advice and narrowing consumer choice.
Meanwhile, the FTC and the FDA are staging a war against homeopathy, chelation, and other natural remedies that don’t fit within a narrow scope of what some officials consider the “standard of practice.”
Join ANH-USA in the fight to preserve freedom of choice in healthcare!
Victories We’ve Brought About To Protect Compounding:
- Retained non-standardized doses, allowing compounders and doctors to continue practicing personalized medicine.
- Removed the RCT provision from a Senate bill that would have banned compounded medications.
- Removed the “Substantiated Need” provision, protecting a doctor’s right to practice personalized medicine.
- Removed the “10% Rule” from the compounding bill that became law, a draconian measure that would have crippled compounding pharmacies.
- Saved progesterone medicine that is vital in preventing preterm birth.
- Nominated two important drugs for inclusion on FDA’s list of bulk drugs that may be compounded.
To Prevent Dietetics Monopolies:
- Replaced a monopolistic Illinois law, allowing nutritionists to be recognized providers.
- Defeated anti-competitive legislation in California that would have monopolized nutrition advice.
- Won battles in Delaware and Michigan for Certified Nutrition Specialists.
- Advanced Older Americans CARE Act to allow good nutrition advice for the elderly.
- Achieved 19 state wins & counting– We are winning the fight against nutrition monopolies around the country.
Jan 6, 2009 0
Freedom of healthcare choice has long been an issue when dealing with government-funded healthcare plans like Medicare and Medicaid. For instance, the Watson-Burton legislation attempted to address economically disadvantaged persons who rely on Medicaid for health insurance because they were giv...
Dec 23, 2008 0
Researchers from NIH’s Women’s Health Initiative released a study this December tying the use of synthetic prescription hormones to breast cancer. (more…)...
Dec 16, 2008 0
In the October 21 issue of Pulse of Health Freedom, a number of issues regarding statin drug use were examined. Beatrice Golomb, MD, PhD, who is gathering data at www.statinsideeffects.com, has indicated there is little or no evidence to suggest that statin drugs are of benefit for women.In an impor...
Dec 16, 2008 1
The 2007 National Health Interview Study, an annual interview of more than 23,000 Americans on their health and illness-related experiences, was developed jointly by NIH’s National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, or NCCAM, and the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics. T...
Dec 16, 2008 0
The Institute of Medicine has issued a long-awaited government report on screening US troops for brain injury (TBI). The report calls on the military to test all new recruits for cognitive skills, then do large studies of returning combat veterans, to better evaluate for traumatic brain injury, the ...
Dec 9, 2008 0
A recent Wall Street Journal article told the story of a group of 600 volunteers at Emory University who underwent an exhaustive predictive health assessment in order to prescribe lifestyle changes. Emory plans to use the data to help identify areas for intervention, assigning half the participan...
Sep 16, 2008 2
A safe, effective treatment exists for Iraq war veterans who have suffered brain injury. This treatment is called HBOT and delivers a powerful dose of oxygen to the brain. (more…)...
Sep 2, 2008 1
If you took action to tell the FDA no to banning natural B-6, you will also have found Glaxo Smith Kline's so-called Citizen's Petition to the FDA that would have the effect of banning weight loss supplements. As you see, Glaxo Smith Kline simply petitioned that obesity be considered a disease. Bu...
Aug 5, 2008 0
Report from the Trenches: Government Affairs from your Nation’s Capitol Dr. William A. Duncan, Your Lobbyist in Washington The DoD-Brain Injury Rescue & Rehabilitation Project Since January of 2007, the American Association for Health Freedom has sponsored a project to have veterans of the...
Apr 28, 2008 2
From our UK-based affiliate, Alliance for Natural Health ARE WE BEING HOODWINKED BY ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE – OR BY ONE OF ITS PROFESSORS? A leading Harley Street physician, also President of the British Society for Ecological Medicine and Medical Director of the Alliance for Natural Health, claims ...