Consider these sobering facts:
- Children exposed to both tobacco smoke and lead are 800 percent more likely to develop ADHD.
- Childhood exposure to lead can cause permanent brain damage to those genetically susceptible. No region of the brain is spared.
- Adults with an average age of 21 who had been enrolled as infants in the Cincinnati Lead Study had IQ deficiencies as well as histories of juvenile delinquency and criminal arrests.
- Baby boys whose mothers used insect repellants in the first three months of pregnancy were at an increased risk of a birth defect called hypospadias (the urethra, which carries urine from the bladder to the opening of the penis, is shortened).
- A study of pregnant women by the Washington Toxics Coalition learned that:
- Every woman tested had been exposed to Bisphenol A (BPA), which is linked to a number of adverse health effects. BPA has been found in the lining of nearly every kind of food container, baby bottles, dental sealants and composite fillings, among other products.
- Every woman tested had been exposed to at least two — and in some cases, to as many as four — perfluorinated chemicals. Known as Teflon chemicals, these are used in manufacturing nonstick cookware.
- Every woman had been exposed to mercury, which is known to harm the development of the brain in the unborn.
- Every woman had been exposed to at least four phthalates, which are linked to adverse health effects. Phthalates are used to make fragrances last longer and also to soften plastic in personal-care products, shower curtains, baby toys, etc.
The Seattle Post Globe published a story about one mother who took part in the Washington Toxics Coalition study. Trained as a midwife, while pregnant she walked a 3-mile trail twice a week, swam weekly, took prenatal yoga classes, tried to eat mostly organic foods and avoided any scented lotions or other personal-care products. And yet, she rated the worst among the women tested for Teflon chemicals. An advocate of breast-feeding, she now worries that while breast-feeding to insure optimal nutrition for her infant son, she will pass chemicals along to him in her breast milk as she did, unwittingly, through her placenta.
Johns Hopkins University’s study of cord blood samples from 20 newborns revealed hundreds of chemicals, this from cord blood most of us would expect to be uncontaminated. With only about 200 of the 80,000 chemicals in our environment having been tested for their effects on humans, the American population is unknowingly taking part in an experiment. Dr. Phil Landrigan of Mt. Sinai School of Medicine has warned the medical community that 1 in 6 American children is now behavior- or learning-disabled because of exposure to chemicals. To add to this gloomy picture, studies have shown that genes are turned on or off by environmental factors, so future generations will also be impacted.
All children deserve the best protection we can provide, but the government is failing to shield our most vulnerable population — the unborn — from chemicals in the environment.
12 thoughts on “Are Mothers-To-Be Unwittingly Passing BPA and Other Chemicals to Their Unborn Babies? And When Will the FDA Wake Up to These Dangers?”
You might as well forget about waking up the FDA. They already know all about BPA and all the other chemicals they allow into our systems. It’s time the American people woke up that the FDA is only on the side of Big-Pharma and others that want to make us sick and dying while profiting from our illnesses and death. FDA needs to taken down because they are ignoring the American public.
On second thought, forget it – just go along and do nothing America – allow all those injustices you see and hear everyday of your lives. Allow all that mind-control programming from your TV, allow all those toxic vaccinations, allow it all – and soon there won’t be anyone left (that’s able) to raise a voice against them.
I do study at college of Naturophatic medicine and for 3 years now heavily researching info related to health matter, also I have been watching many materials related to Monsanto and GMO food production. Till recently I have been thinking that we have a chance to reverse or shut down a few but powerful corporations order to protect humans and nature. But I have discovered that there is on our planer earth there are individuals who are owe UN and all major food production, vaccine creating and human health destroying organizations. They are monsters and lairs, Copenhagen is an evidence. Look at them what they up to, feeding us with food we have no idea what is in it, they are after demolishing farmers and small food suppliers, they pay farmers money to not grow crops. A few centralized food suppliers lead and controlled by UN will decide how to reduce population through the food we eat. Today already they are talking about vaccination through the food, where is bacteria similar to those in yogurt will be delivered to us via food. If we let them develop their plan we then would not able to turn wheel backwards. we have to unite and protest, unite entire independent scientists and population to stop making us animal like.
Read about BisPhenol-A toxicities.
This is an excellent post. I’m bookmarking your blog and will sure be back for more. Thank you.
I completely adore this website, definitely going to have to remember to add this to my blogroll.
I really like this blog. Please continue the great work. Regards!!!
Very insightful post. I am going to link to it in my new blog.
Thank you for your excellent post. Yes, the government is failing to protect us from toxic chemicals, but the good news is that we can do something about it. This January, Congress is expected to introduce legislation to reform the outdated Toxics Substances Control Act (TSCA)- the federal law that regulates chemicals. We’re working with a national coalition of groups to make sure the legislation will place common sense limits on harmful chemicals and protect all people. Check out the Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families Coalition (www.saferchemicals.org) to find out more about the coalition and how you can get involved. If we all work together, we can make it happen!
Hi – very good website you have made. I enjoyed reading this posting. I did want to issue a comment to tell you that the design of this site is very aesthetically delightful. I used to be a graphic designer, now I am a copy editor in chief for a merchandising firm. I have always enjoyed playing with computing machines and am trying to learn code in my free time (which there is never enough of lol).
Simply want to say your article is as tonishing. The clearness in your post is simply spectacular and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your rss feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.
The endocrine disruptors in cosmetics, household cleaners, soaps, shampoos and household chemicals are also probably at the root of our obesity epidemic. (When you think of it, the diet wasn’t so good in the ’50s with their TV dinners or the ’60s outside of California.) We have an epidemic of obese 6 month olds, born fat in response to epigenetic changes in utero. See http://www.acupuncturebrooklyn.com/liver/karen-vaughan-chemicals-and-obesity-what-if-isnt-all-your-fault
I admire the important info you supply within your articles. I will bookmark your blog and also have my youngsters test up here often. I’m very certain they will find out tons of new things right here than anybody else!